Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 19: Deer!

6 miles: Mollies Ridge Shelter to Spence Field Shelter. 

Right after I left the shelter today I realized I forgot my pack towel so I went back to the shelter to get it. At the shelter I saw this: 



It was really cool to see these deer so close. I hiked the first few miles alone and then stopped for water at the next shelter. Here I ran into Trix again. I wanted to try something I had heard of hikers doing on the trail and knew she was a book lover. So I read my book aloud while she hiked in front of me. We did this for a couple miles then switched off. It is actually a very fun but slow way to hike if your not on rooty or rocky terrain. It really teaches you how to breathe properly since your panting from hiking and also speaking. We arrived at spence field shelter for lunch but decided since the weather was kind of crappy to just stay the night at the shelter. So now I'm typing this from the shelter with a fire burning, rain pattering the roof, and thunder in the distance. What a beautiful life it is on the trail.

And no. I'm not ashamed of a single digit day. The best part of being out here is the freedom of having single digit days.

A salamander that came out of a log we were getting ready for the fire.



No comments:

Post a Comment