Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 16: Hiker Bubbles

15.2 miles: Sassafras Gap Shelter to Cable Gap Shelter

Today I hiked pretty far, pretty fast. The goal was to do 22 miles and get into Fontana Dam. But during the last few miles my calf muscle and knee were hurting a little bit so I decided not to push it to hard and I stopped at cable gap shelter. It was about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I was the second person at the shelter. Another part of me wanted to see the people from the night before as well. They knew I was either coming here or going to the Fontana Hilton and their plan was to come here. So I got to see Trix, Dabs, Stacey, and Jersey Girl again. They came to the shelter at around 7 and by then I had a fire going and they were happy to see I had stayed. 

What is a hiker bubble?
Because so many people are out here and all have different paces and personalities there are groups that develop that are usually separated in the trail by a day or so. Groups ahead and behind you will intermingle a little but you develop bonds with the people you see intermittently throughout the day and always at camp. Thus this becomes your "bubble" or "hiker bubble". 

So I have joined a new bubble. I still hold onto hopes of seeing ghost, nine, and Shanna again but I enjoy the company of the people around me now. 

Anyways.. The hike was good and tomorrow I get to enjoy the Fontana Hilton Shelter and beautiful Fontana lake and dam once again. 

Hiker dog "arrow".














No comments:

Post a Comment