Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 15: Short Day

7 miles: NOC to Sassafras Gap Shelter. 

Today was a short hike but almost 90% uphill. It was also quite muddy and foggy. Towards the end of my hike the weather cleared up and it was sunny the rest of the day. I was the first to the shelter and there I decided to just take it easy since the day before I did 16. Tomorrow I will do a bigger day to make up for today. 

Views of the Nantahala Gorge and the NOC. 

Sometimes people build cool rock stacks on the trail.


Memorial right on the trail.

At the shelter I ate some good food and met a bunch of new people. Very good company here at the shelter tonight. :) We played cards and had a lot of laughs and now I feel pretty refreshed and ready for a new day on the trail. I met Tricks, Stacey, Dabs, Jersey Girl, Burl, and Tree Beard. Lots of new faces, but this is what it's like on he Appalachian Trail. It's one big community with people from every place and background. 

Goodnight!





6 comments:

  1. Just looking at the guide book and that climb, 7 miles doesn't seem so short!! Good job bud.... Ask Jersey Girl if she's a Bruce fan too.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. HE might be... Jersey girl is a guy. :) one of the coolest characters I've met so far for sure.

      Delete
  2. Loved seeing you last week! I'm glad that your grandmother encouraged you to complete your journey. I think it will be an incredible experience and I love "traveling" it with you. Grammy140

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your comments regarding food. Next time your in a town stop by a fast food place and try and get some small packets of taco sauce like McDonalds has for breakfast. That stuff taste pretty good on anything and is small and lightweight. Same for ketchup and mustard.
    ATCHawk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya thats a great tip. Im gonna try! I had some awesome jam packets that I got at some trail magic that were fantastic for my bagels! :)

      Delete