Sunday, March 29, 2015

Day 14: Nantahala Outdoor Center

16 miles: Wayah Bald Shelter to Nantahala Outdoor Ceter

Last night was tough. It got very cold. I did stay pretty warm but not comfortably warm. I was the first one out of camp and hiked for about an hour on frozen ground. That was a first for me! I love experiencing new things. I guess that's why hiking out here is so much fun for me. Almost everyday is something new. 


This was a very good day. Had no bad weather and there was about an inch of snow on the ground for about 75% of my hike. This is also my longest day yet. My body feels great I could've done more had the NOC not had a delicious trailside  restaraunt and hot showers. 


Cold Spring shelter.

Snow on almost all the mountains in view.

Fontana lake in the foreground, Great Smoky Mountains in the distance. I hike in the direction of the lake the next two days, and then off and up those mountains.


Really cool water source. Someone had to haul that concrete up the mountain..

This was actually a very steep portion of trail just after what is labeled in the guide as "The Jump Off". 

Part of the Nantahala Outdoor Center, or NOC. It's an "adventure center" for kayaking, rafting, hiking, zip lines, and outdoor education. This is a pretty cool place for ending a 16 mile hike. The trail runs straight through it.

The Nantahala River at the NOC.




3 comments:

  1. Love the pix, Jordie. I heard a guy today say that when God created the world, He was creating His Son's playroom. And He lets us in to play with His toys! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was from Aunt Lynda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, Jordan! Such an incredible experience and it sounds from your blog that you are doing well. Enjoy your journey! Grammy140 (Aunt Lynda's Sister!)

    ReplyDelete