Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 41: Waterfalls, Lakes, and Dams

13 miles: Kincora Hiking Hostel to Wilbur Dam Rd

I woke early and another hiker had prepared a huge amount on pancake batter. He was pawning it off onto other hikers (a very easy task). So I made a pancake and a carnation instant drink mix for breakfast. After this I left early to go to the other hostel .5 away to resupply a little bit before we hit the trail. While there I picked up Jersey Girls nalgene that he had left there and got some delicious food out of the hiker box and from the store. The woman running the resort (black bear resort) was nice enough to give me a ride to the trail head. When I got there Jersey Girl and Tric were waiting. We had a snack then hiked out to see Laurel Falls 1.1 mile away. At the falls we spent some time relaxing and then hiked on. After a few more miles there is a 1 mile side trail into Hampton, TN. Last year my dad lounged here while I hiked the 1 mile, hitchiked to subway, then hiked back. Tric and Jersey Girl knew that story so they brought up the idea of doing it again. But this time they would buy my subway for doing it. I'm always up for a challenge, so now this is the "Subway Challenge" for all you future thru-hikers! I ran the mile got a hitch from 2 girls in High School and got driven back where I ran the mile back to find Tric and Jersey girl napping and reading! We happily ate our subway and hiked on over Pond Flats. After coming down Pond flats we approach Watauga Lake. A beautiful lake that is dammed on one side. We soaked our feet and hiked out. The next 4 miles of trail is closed to camping due to bear activity. This is most likely because it is so accessible to the general public. People with no experience or leave no trace ethics intentionally and unintentionally feed bears and habituate them to humans. This was a shame because there were some beautiful campsites on the lake that would have been wonderful. We hiked just to the end of the 4 mile section where we found those section hikers again and camped with them. They were wonderful camping partners and we had some good conversation before bed.



























6 comments:

  1. `Sounds like your stomach is back to normal as I don't see anything about it. From your writings it sounds like you have found a core group of thru hikers whom are all comfortable with each other. Was wondering how it is going as far as the longer time be between re-supplies is going and the extra weight in your pack and how it is holding up.
    ATCHAWK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had a real bad cough for awhile but that s finally gone also. Back to %100! As far as time between re-supplies my hiker hunger is starting to go crazy! So the extra weight is no longer feasible. I'll have to go back to a normal time between resupplies. I solved my pack issues and I'll be posting a post about it soon! :) Thanks for keeping in touch ATCHAWK!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing great! My friend "Iron Lady" is just behind you. Left out of Dennis Cove this morning 5/1. Enjoy your trek! Vonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally saw her! But just for a second so I didn't get to say hi unfortunately. I hope to see her again soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Haha! The Subway Challenge, I love it!
    I recognize the exact spot you're at, in every one of those pictures... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya :) I thought about our hike together often in this section. Love you dad.

      Delete