Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 35: Playing Catch Up

25 miles: Spivey Gap to the top of Unaka Mountain

I had just spent a few days with my family for my dad's birthday. We rafted the Chatooga river for his birthday. The guides for the NOC were super professional and awesome and we had an amazing time. Tuesday morning we had planned to hike Mt Michell but my mom was very sick with bronchitis. My dad didn't want to leave her for to long. So instead my dad dropped me off on the trail and hiked a couple of miles with me. The first 11 miles of trail was downhill for the most part. The next 14 was mosty uphill. I hiked very well today. Mile 23 was Beauty Spot Bald. A very beautiful bald mountain with views in all directions. By this mile marker I averaged 3 mph! It was here that I found a lot of people I knew taking a zero day. So it was here that I had dinner and hung out with them for a few hours. I didn't want to end my day yet since I felt so good still so I decided to hike out into the night.

Hiking alone at night is an interesting thing. It can be spooky, exhilarating, and just plain fun. I hiked from campsite to campsite during the next two miles up Unaka Mountain. On a cold night like this just about everyone had a fire going. I would warm up by one talk to the people around it then head out again into the night. By the third fire I started thinking about how warm my sleeping bag is, and that was the end of my night hike and longest day on the trail. I set up my tent and planned to wake up early to try to beat my friends to the trailhead 10 miles away. 

One other thing to report: I saw 2 bunnies and a snake today!


Beauty spot bald.

Sunset after 23 miles. 












No comments:

Post a Comment