Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 39: Rain...?

8.7 Miles: Mountain Harbour B&B at road crossing US 19E in Roan Mtn, TN to Mountaineer Falls Campsite.

Today the weather report was horrid. It was supposed to pour all day.

We started the day with a home made all you can eat breakfast created by the wonderful ladies at the Mountain Harbour B&B. After that we very slowly packed our things in the common room watching the rain fall outside. Most hikers were zeroing today to avoid the rain. We were very reluctant to get out and were actually wishing we could zero also. At 12:00 the rain died down and we finally got out on the trail. I hiked alone for the first 5 miles to Jones Falls. I wanted to cheer everyone up behind me because it hadn't rained yet so i made smiley faces on the trail as I hiked. While there I enjoyed some food and had a great conversation with Will and Way. They are a very interesting couple. I hung out and waited for Tric to arrive. Burl and Tree Beard showed up and somehow knew it was me making the faces on the trail and told me they loved them.

After Tric showed up and enjoyed the falls for a little bit we hiked on. After a mile we came to Elk River and sat on the side of it and napped, read, and snacked for a bit before moving on to our campsite 4 miles away. At our campsite I got a fire going and taught Tric how to start and maintain a fire skill, she is very determined to improve her fire making skills on the trail. We had a nice, quiet dinner and warm time by the fire before heading off to bed.

It didn't rain at all on the trail today! Weather reports on the trail are a constant topic of conversation but they rarely are true. I don't subscribe to them anymore.















No comments:

Post a Comment