Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 24: Standing Bear Farm-TOWN!!!

4.7 miles: Davenport Gap Shelter to Standing Bear Farm.

Today I woke early, I really wanted to get a private room at Standing Bear Farm because I was going on day 10 or 11 without a town visit. They told us the day before that they don't reserve the 2 rooms that they have and instead they are first come first serve. So I got a 7am departure today. After .9 miles I hit Davenport Gap and was officially out of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park! At the gap the some of the same people from Newfound gap were there doing more trail magic! Truly amazing people. They were there to surprise the warrior hikers again with more biscuits and gravy, chili mac, and eggs n' bacon. This was also a sort of camping/tailgating trip for them. After helping them set up a little bit they said they were driving over to Standing Bear to get another hiker then coming back. I took the opportunity and rode with them to the hostel so that I was the first there and could get a room. When I arrived the caretaker of the place whose name is 'Lumpy' said that all the rooms were booked and only hostel beds were available. First come first serve right? After being initially frustrated I just let it go and said i'd be back after I hiked in to get a bed. Then I hear my name. I look over and Ghost, Nine, and Shanna were standing on the porch! I ran over and gave them all a hug and found out that they stayed there last night and were headed out today, I would probably miss them. I didn't get to talk long for the trail angel that gave me the ride was ready to go and I didn't want to leave him waiting.

After I got back to the gap I hung out with the trail angels and the hikers and ate some seriously delicious food with some seriously awesome people. I Believe and her husband Jimmy showed up and I talked with them for a bit, around this time some other hikers were coming down the mountain and I took that as my cue to take off down the trail again. I wanted to beat the first big rush of hikers to the hostel so that I could at least get a bed. I felt so refreshed that I almost ran the next 3 miles through the woods, onto a road, across a bridge, and under an overpass, then back up over a couple mountains, and into Standing Bear Farm.

At Standing Bear Farm I bought a saved a bed for me and for Tric who was having a tough start to the day. Standing Bear Farm was a very small and cute hostel/farm situation. Everything there was obviously 'redneck rigged' but had a very cute rustic appeal to it. This was not the town visit that we were hoping for. It only got us back to about 60%. We really needed a good town visit. So we called ahead to Hot springs (3 days down the trail) and reserved a room at Elmers Sunnybank Inn. They have a fantastic reputation and a delicious vegetarian breakfast and dinner. Oh and rooms. REAL rooms.






Only hand wash laundry here at Standing Bear, and "electric dry". The dryer barely works.



The resupply room at Standing Bear

The other half of the resupply room at Standing Bear








1 comment:

  1. Great stories and great pictures! It's so interesting to think this whole unknown world is going on and the only way I learn about it is because I know an AT hiker, Thank you ! Grammy140

    ReplyDelete