Saturday, April 18, 2015

Day 30: Firescald Ridge

18.1 miles: Rich Mountain Lookout Tower  Campsite to Jerrys Cabin Shelter 

One month on trail!

Today was tough. The miles were easy but my emotional state was pretty low. Missing the people behind me a lot. I got an early start though and after a few miles I hit the first shelter where I made some Mountain House brand biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Thanks dad and go2outfitters! It was delicious. After that I just kept as steady a pace as I could towards the next shelter. About 3 miles from the shelter I ran out of water. 3 miles will take me about an hour and a half. So I went that long without water and when I got to the shelter I forced myself to put down a liter of water right there. Getting dehydrated is very easy out here. I made some lunch of sausage and cheese burritos and ate a sleeve of mint thins (dollar generals knock off brand) and hit the trail again. After about 3 miles you come to an area of trail that is very rocky, strenuous, and exposed called Firescald Ridge. They built a bypass trail for this section in case the weather is bad. I took the strenuous AT. This section is one of my favorite spots. Beautiful views and very technical hiking. There was one spot where the wind blew so fierce it would support your weight. Three feet to the left from that, the wind was totally dead. 

I hiked on to Jerrys cabin shelter where the warrior hikers chewy, handsome rob, Olaf, and his dog arrow where camped. We got a fire going and I met a bunch of new people as well. Fireman, Chimney, Yogi, and Black and Blue. Which was a good end to the day. During the night I felt really sick, out of a combination of needing to go #2 and not drinking enough water, I think. I thought I was going to puke. I cannot stress enough how important water is out here! Go to sleep with a liter in you and a liter next to you. It's one of the most important things!!



The trail goes up this.










No comments:

Post a Comment