Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 18: Great Smoky Mountain National Park!

12 miles: Fontana Hilton to Mollies Ridge Shelter

Today I hiked with Trix mostly. We had a nice slow hike across Fontana Dam, into the national park, and off and up and up into the smokies. The smokies have been very monotonous and boring so far. Spring has yet to hit and everything is still dead. The highlight of the day though was Shuckstack Firetower; an old rickety tower that looks out over Fontana lake and the mountains in all directions. The tower sways in the wind and the observatory box is barely nailed together anymore. However; this tower provides one of the best views to date.

When I arrived at the shelter it was quite full and I was a little bit irritable so I tried to be social for a little bit but after dinner I set up my tent and went to sleep. The shelters in the smokies have fire places inside of them so one nice thing at the shelter was the raging fire already started by Tree Beard and Burl. Jersey Girl was at this shelter and he was very fun to be around but Dabs and Stacey took a zero at Fontana. 




Shuckstack tower.

Inside.

Panoramic of the inside.









No comments:

Post a Comment