Thursday, March 26, 2015

Family Emergency Update and New Game Plan

So I had to get off the trail again to celebrate the life of my wonderful grandmother. I left Wednesday morning and will go back Friday morning. She was such a wonderful woman and extremely supportive of everything I've ever done. I would like to thank everyone that has supported me or my family during this time. It has been difficult but it makes it easier when you have such a loving family to go through it with you.


Me and her had a special bond. But then again, she had a special bond with everyone in her life. That's what made her so special. I was her birthday present on January 23, 1991. Ever since then we have shared a birthday full of love and tater tot casserole (our traditional birthday dish). Only a couple of years ago I found out that when I was an infant I almost got sick and it could have been very dangerous for me. She stayed up all night with me and made sure I was ok. She would have done anything for any of her 29 grand children. She was a spectacular grandmother, and that's how I'll always remember her. Now I hike the trail not only for myself, but also for her. She made me promise I would finish the trail for her. She was always ao encouraging! I love that lady! :)


                            ~~~~

On another note. I have decided that the town visits I've experienced so far here in the beginning section of the trail are a bit to full of the greed and consumerism that the trail was created to help you escape. So I am going to stretch the time I go between towns a little farther. Instead of 4-7 days between I hope to do 10-14 days between towns. This will help me get in touch with a little more nature. And  a little less of people that just want to profit off of hikers. But it also means that I have to carry almost double the weight in food. 

3 comments:

  1. She loved you dearly!! As do I!! Be safe and enjoy this experience! Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careful with the added weight, but this will allow you to see more sunrises and sunsets and set your own schedule whether its walking early in the morning or walking late after dinner
    ATCHawk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will! I'm fortunate enough to have a very low pack weight so I think I can take on the extra weight. My base weight (pack weightbefore food and water) is currently about 21-22 lbs. Which is a little heavier than I would like but I don't handle the cold as well as some. So I have some warmer layers.

      Delete